Thursday, December 31, 2009
- 10 Servings
- Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 10 fresh strawberry halves, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine 3/4 cup sugar, cocoa, flour and salt. Gradually stir in water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the chocolate chips, coffee and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and egg white until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Transfer to ten 4-oz. ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins in a baking pan; add 1 in. of boiling water to pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or just until centers are set. Garnish with strawberry halves if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 131 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
Whipping It Up
Just Say NO To Candy - Written by Joel Fuhrman, M.D. *Joel Fuhrman M.D. is a board-certified family physician, NY Times best-selling author and nutritional researcher who specia...